August 24, 2014

Open a Vein and Bleed

Well, I am all packed and ready to go which means two things: I woke up too early and I could have had more champagne last night.  I just thought it would have taken so much more time, this packaging up a week of life to go somewhere, elsewhere. 

It can be difficult to know what to pack when you don't really know what to expect.  I registered for this writing course on a whim, telling myself "Just do it....Why not?".  When your heart makes you take a leap and not your head, when that's all you're used to, it can be hard to reconcile. 

But away I go.  I haven't carried this much on my back since I traveled Europe in 1997.  And yet, this time is not much different than then.  Oh sure, I have more fine lines (a girl's way of saying "wrinkles") and gray hairs now, but there is an air of hope and adventure and excitement that is similar.  I went to Europe all those years ago with the intent to absorb, to be a sponge and a student.  This week, I don't even have to leave the state to do the same thing.

The only way to shake things up is to break out of your comfort zone.  I feel kind of like that kid on the first day of attending a new school, nervous and curious, intimidated and shy; a little bit like I don't belong and they all do.  And after all, I am just a hack blogger who maybe, someday, will write her first book.  Then there's the other side of me that says, "Fuck yeah, let's do this!" 

"There’s nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter, open a vein and bleed." -Red Smith

Inspiration and creativity come from within, all one needs is a conduit.  Let's do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment